Job 16:2 – “I have heard many such things; miserable comforters are you all.”
Isaiah 55:8-9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my way higher than your ways and my thoughts than yours.
1) We need comfort, but this world is filled with miserable comforters who cannot reconcile the reality of suffering with our desire for hope
2) Suffering is the voice of God
3) Wisdom comes from knowing that God's wisdom is higher than ours, which is unexplainable without the picture of Christ's suffering
Remember God in Your Youth12 Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near when you will say, “I have no delight in them”;2 before the sun and the light, the moon and the stars are darkened, and clouds return after the rain; 3 in the day that the watchmen of the house tremble, and mighty men stoop, the grinding ones stand idle because they are few, and those who look through windows grow dim; 4 and the doors on the street are shut as the sound of the grinding mill is low, and one will arise at the sound of the bird, and all the daughters of song will sing softly. 5 Furthermore, men are afraid of a high place and of terrors on the road; the almond tree blossoms, the grasshopper drags himself along, and the caperberry is ineffective. For man goes to his eternal home while mourners go about in the street. 6 Remember Him before the silver cord is broken and the golden bowl is crushed, the pitcher by the well is shattered and the wheel at the cistern is crushed; 7 then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it. 8 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “all is vanity!”
13 The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. 14 For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.
1) Life is meaningless because "days of evil" are coming
2) True wisdom comes from knowing that life is not about you, but God
3) If the universe is all about God, the benefits of His sovereignty pour out upon us